Tarragona it was invaded by the Romans in 218 a. J.C. , Later becoming the capital of Nearer Spain, calling Tarragona.
In 45 a. J.C. Julius Caesar became a colony. From the period of Roman occupation monuments built themselves a Roman capital;
Amphitheater, the Aqueduct, the Wall Escipions Tower, Circus, the Forums of the Colony and the Province, the Arc de Bera, the Pont del Diable.
After the Roman occupation, for Christians recovered after it was invaded by the Franks, Teutons, Visigoths, the city being destroyed by the Muslims in 716 and going through a period of decline. Thanks to the good economy of the Catalan-Aragonese crown and its maritime trade,
he recovered. In the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries, and after years of war, eventually recovered again from all of its agricultural resources, viticulture and fishing.
Tarragona, Tarraco Roman capital, declared a World Heritage Site by UNESCO for its impressive Roman remains, recovered to be nominated role host the Mediterranean Games in 2017
Tarraco Tarraconensis capital, possessed Amphitheatre, Circus and Theatre
It was built in the early s.II for the fun of the people. It did gladiator fights, animal fights, animal
and wild men and martyrdom of Christians.
Its foundations were built:
- Visigothic basilica, built on sand, as a tribute and place of worship Sant Fructuoso (Tarraco ancient Christian bishop and was
- necropolis, built between the third century and VI by the Romans and then when you retrieved the Christians, was also dedicated to San Fructuoso.
- Roman Church of Santa Maria s.XII Miracle, was built when the city was taken by Christians again.
It was built 81 to 96 d.J.C. by Emperor Domitian and he raced cars, chariot.
Today, in this place called the Fonts is located the Town Hall, located in the former convent of Santo Domingo.
The County Council is located in the same building
The Roman Wall, was built in the third century BC to s.II It retains a good part of it and kept 3 towers and gates of the third century s.II called Cyclops. The Wall itself is an archaeological discovery of the value of individual stones that form it.
The Cathedral of Santa María (XII century). It was built on an ancient Roman temple dedicated to Jupiter. Was expanded through the centuries and have varied
their styles. His style is clearly the transition from Romanesque to Gothic. The cloister is s.XIII, its construction and its doors are Romanesque,
but the Gothic vaulted ceiling. Inside is an altar made of alabaster dedicated to Santa Tecla , which was conducted in 1434 by Pere Johan.
He was consecrated for worship in 1331. The facade is still to finish. The side chapels are very interesting, especially the Immaculate Conception of Mary.
The stonework was carved by Francisco Gomar with oak from Flanders in the fifteenth century.
- Romanitat Museum (located in the Tower of Pretoria): for he comes to the passages of the Roman circus built in sIdJC
Save Roman and medieval finds of inestimable historical interest.
- National Archaeological Museum: is located on a fragment of Roman wall canvas from 1960. Save the most valuable collection of Roman objects of Catalonia in the XVI-XVII-XVIII. It is oriented on the history of the city and Romanesque art. It has become a center for the preservation and dissemination of the process of Romanization of the peninsula through their findings. The collection consists of bronzes, ceramics, stone sculptures and busts. Here is kept the famous Head of Medusa mosaic.
- Diocesan Museum: is located in the cloister of the Cathedral and is also access through it. It was opened in 1914 after lengthy negotiations
made by several prelates and formerly performed since 1869. It houses Roman archaeological work at the time of Upper and Lower Empire;
Spanish-Arab parts such as: an arch dating from 960, tissues Jewish inscriptions, 6 of the twelfth century polychromed virgins and fifteenth;
a liturgical quick roasting s.XIII-XIV, and many others …; altarpieces of the fifteenth and fourteenth century: between the Virgin Mary Monastery of Santas Creus;
works of the Renaissance, Baroque, books and a wonderful collection of tapestries from the workshops of Brussels, with an altarpiece by Jaime Huguet .
- is situated on the Castellarnau house, built in the fifteenth century